Today has been a very long day. I think I'm getting sick which made sleeping last night nearly impossible. If you add that to the marvelous pain I feel everytime I change positions because of hurting my leg it was great! I fell almost a month ago and hurt my leg which normally would be healed by now. My doctor thinks I pulled a muscle. However, with my luck I pulled a muscle that is connected to a separate muscle in my back which is the same one the baby is pressing on. This means that my leg will take longer than normal to feel better.
Then this afternoon I had to go to work and 'tutor' the little heathens. I have never in my life met a more unmotivated bunch of children. The worst part is that the other teachers and even their parents don't seem to care. The majority of the kids tell me they don't have to do their homework because when they get home their parents will give them the answers. Most of my 1st-3rd graders can barely read and a some don't know the entire alphabet. I have 4th graders who can't tell time and 5th graders who have trouble adding without using their fingers. Most of the 8th graders have so much attitude they don't even want to listen and one of them should be a sophomore.
I spend 75% of my time yelling at them to quit talking and sit down. This of course causes stress which this week has been causing braxton hicks contractions. My doctor wants me to sit down and drink water when this happens but unfortunately that is not really an option when at work. The positive side is that next Friday is the last day before Christmas and I don't have kids in my room on Friday, so I really only have 5 days left to deal with them.
I thought that I would be able to help them learn to read. When I was hired my boss said that she was making some major changes and was bringing in new teachers so that the students would actual learn and not just spend their time messing around. BUT my boss walked out last Thursday after finding out that her boss was talking bad about her behind her back. Needless to say that all changes have ended and the program is back to the same old same old. Yesterday I sent 2 kids to the office for hitting each other with books and they didn't even get written up just got a warning and were sent back to class :( I feel bad for the kids that they are being raised in an environment where being below mediocre is considered the norm and they are not expected to do better.
Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day and if not at least it's my last day of teaching for this week.
On a happier note Quinn is doing great today and has been moving and kicking like crazy :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment